Archive for the ‘Events and Nightlife’ Category
Monday, September 3rd, 2012
August 27, 2012 – Kagay-an Pyro Festival 2012
In line with Cagayan de Oro’s fiesta, celebration is the Kagay-an Pyro Festival which took flight at SM grounds about 9:00 o’clock in the evening.
The fuming sets of fireworks flew into the open air – coloring the skies of Cagayan de Oro as sign of prosperity and boom of business and tourism.
An estimated of 190,000 spectators waited for the fire-powered moment while enjoying the activities on the SM ground. Of course, the organizers and the participants have to wait until the last flight on the Lumbia Airport took off.
On the Ground:
There were no empty moments as the band served as musical background to those exited for the Pyro Festival. There were many food booths and souvenirs tourist can buy as remembrance of the Kagay-an Festival 2012.
Top View before the Kagay-an Pryo Festival 2012 started
Bands entertaining people as they wait
We would like to thank our Local Police for keeping the peace and organization. Good job people, we salute you. Of course, all the sponsors that made this event possible, SM Supermarkets, Cagayan de Oro Local Government, Mayor Vicente “Donkoy Emano” and all the establishments that contributed to the event.
Kagay-an Pyro Festival Winners:
- Cagayan de Oro Entry # 8 – 1st Place
- Bulacan Entry # 2 – 2nd Place
- Iligan Entry # 4 – 3rd Place
Until the next Kagay-an Pyro Festival. Expect more improvements, excitement, and gimmicks as we head towards year 2013 and the next year of Cagayan de Oro festivities. God Bless us CDO.
Monday, September 3rd, 2012
August 08, 2012 – Vivid colors filled the streets as 12 different tribes danced through the waving heat, electrifying the crowd, and making it a jam-packed event.
People crowded the streets to watch and support their Barangays competing in this year’s Kagay-an Festival 2012 Cultural Street Dancing. This is an annual event held prior to the celebration of St. Augustine’s feast.
Different schools and business entities participated and made the event worth watching under the heat of the sun. This years’ Cultural Dance is said to be more improved and well organized. Kudos to the city government for handling the Kagay-an Festival so well.
This is a true showcase of talents and the resiliency of Kagay-anons despite the scars marked by the Sendong Flood in December. Mabuhay Kagay-anons! We are truly happy people and still the “City of Golden Friendship.”
Congratulations to Barangay Kauswagan, Bugo, and Bayabas who topped the event. All of the participants are already winners by just looking at their colorful and extravagant costumes.
Big thanks to all the sponsors for making this event very possible – Globe, TM, San Miguel Corporation, Coca-Cola, Centrio Ayala Malls and etc. We also appreciated the effort of our local police and local government units – especially to our City Mayor Vicente “Donkoy” Emano and His comrades.
The Cultural Street Dance will be followed by a Civic-Military Parade participated by local government units, the army, PNP along with universities, schools, and prominent business establishments in Cagayan de Oro.
About Kagay-an Festival and Cultural Street Dancing:
Historically, Fiesta celebration is inherited by the Kagay-anons from the Spaniards. It is a celebration in honor of St. Augustine, the patron saint of Cagayan de Oro. It’s second to Christmas as the most celebrated holidays in Cagayan de Oro.
Street dancing is a long tradition of giving thanks to the creator. It’s actually a pagan tradition adopted by Roman Catholics, which comprises 87 percent of the people in Cagayan de Oro. It’s also a recognition of the tribes which is believed to be Kagay-anons’ ancestors.
Friday, August 31st, 2012
Miss Kagay-an 2012 Coronation Night – the long wait was finally over, Greanne Trisha T. Mendoza won the title of this years’ Miss Kagay-an.
People filled the air with excitement as judges convey who’ll earn the top spot in the most prestigious beauty search in Cagayan de Oro. Eleven gorgeous women competed with each other until only five remained victorious.
The top five candidates include:
- Candidate # 3 – Elaine P. Ghan
- Candidate # 8 – Emie Lou E. Yamba
- Candidate # 1 – Lovely Jane B. Estampa
- Candidate # 11 – Greanne Trisha T. Mendoza
- Candidate # 7 – Leslie P. Ghan
In the end, Candidate # 11 – Greanne Trisha T. Mendoza championed the competition. The final decision made all of them victorious – giving everyone a special award from different sponsors:
- #1 Lovely Jane B. Estampa – “Miss Tourism”
- #8 Emie Lou E. Yamba – “1st Runner-up”
- #7 Leslie P. Ghan – “2nd Runner-up”
- # 3 Elaine P.Ghan – “3rd Runner-up”
- “Miss Nature Spring” – Candidate # 4 Laurice O. Inosa
- “Miss Pink Spa” – Candidate # 2 Sidney Taboclaon
- “Miss Le Rouge” – Candidate # 2 Sidney Taboclaon
- “Miss Ever Bilena” – Candidate # 7 Leslie Ghan
- “Miss Primavera” – Candidate # 11 Greanne Trisha T. Mendoza
- “Miss Avon” – Candidate # 4 Laurice Inosa
- “Miss Kapuso” – Candidate #3 Elaine Ghan
- “Miss Gardens of Malasag” – Candidate #8 Emie Lou Yamba
- “Miss Goldilocks – Candidate #11 Greanne Trisha Mendoza
- “Miss Natasha” – Candidate #6 Juriel Valledor
- “Belo Beauty of the Evening” – Candidate # 3 Elaine Ghan
- “Best in Long Gown” – Candidate# 2 Sidney Taboclaon
- “Globe Texter’s Choice” – Candidate# #11 Greanne Trisha Mendoza
- “Miss Friendship” – Candidate # 3 Elaine Ghan
- “Darling of the Press” – Candidate #11 Greanne Trisha Mendoza
- “Miss Samsung” – Candidate # 11 Greanne Trisha Mendoza
- “Miss Photogenic” – Candidate #3 Elaine Ghan
- “Best in Mags Casual Wear” – Candidate# 2 Sidney Taboclaon
- “Miss Avon” – Candidate #4 Laurice Inosa
- “Best in Talent” – Candidate #9 Roxinne Monterde
- “Best in Swimsuit” – Candidate #4 Laurice Inosa
Furthermore, few of the most influential personalities in the city such as Mayor Vicente Emano, Benjo Benaldo, and Ian Acenas came to witness the event. GMA star Will Devaughn, and model Diana Menezes joined the coronation night.
In addition, such event wouldn’t be possible without the help and cooperation of these major sponsors: Globe Telecoms, Mallberry Suites, Lim Ket Kai Centre, The Department of Tourism, Belo Medical Group, Hotel Koresco, Cagayan de Oro Tourism Board, and Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority.
Friday, August 31st, 2012
August 27, 2012 – Cagayan de Oro showed its true and vibrant colors to the world. The Kagay-an Festival started with the civic-military parade and its core-running float parade.
Hundreds of government and non-government sectors marched through CDO streets – not even minding the heat of the summer sun.
The Philippine National Police, the Philippine Army, Coast Guards, Maritime Police, Mindanao Shriners, and Boy Scout of the Philippines are just few of the military and government agencies who joined the parade.
Various fraternities and youth organizations joined hand-in-hand to show unity and peace by wearing their organizational uniforms while marching through the streets. Few of these organizations include, Alpha Kappa Rho, Tau Gamma Phi, Betaupsians, and National Youth Commission umbrella organizations such as AYLINM.
Of course, business entities failed not to miss the event. Big pharmaceutical companies such as IPI charmed the crowd with their celebrity guest, Paul Jake Castillo of PBB. Behind our convoy, we had Psalmstre Enterprises following us. Other business entities such as Globe Telecom, Goldilocks, and Jolibee were also present in the parade. On our lane, we had motormate, Pambato Shipping, and Radio Ultra.
Beautiful floats mesmerized spectators while competing in this year’s Golden Float Parade. Among the participants, include SM City, GMA, Casino, Concentrix, MH Lhuillier, Eagles Club, Jatico Adventures, International Pharma Inc., and Misamis Oriental Congressional Districts 1 and 2. We also saw the floats of ABSCBN Tsada Kagayan, and 2Go Group Inc.
Different drum bugle corps and school bands electrified the streets of Hayes, Chavez, and Apolinar Velez. Performers were from Liceo de Cagayan, Blessed Mother College, Kauswagan Central School, Macabalan National High School, Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School, Camp Evangelista Elementary School, Agusan National High School, Kuyanap-DBC, Cagayan de Oro National High School, Camaman-an National High School, Bayabas Elementary School, City Central School, Gusa Regional Science High School, Pilgrim Christian College, and Bayanga National High School.
Kudos to this year’s organizer, the event was truly a success. There were no crimes reported during the parade because of the 1000 police enforcers deployed at that time.
The route took us over an hour to arrive at the finish line. All floats and convoys will need to go the heart of the city – Lim Ket Kai Centre. Regardless of the fuming heat, Harvest LLC Team and the other participants danced through the end. It was clear that the smiles of the spectators inspired all the parade performers and guest despite unwanted temperature.
Until the next Kagay-an Festival. Happy Fiesta Cagayan de Oro! Greetings from your Harvest LLC family.
Friday, August 31st, 2012
Congratulations Alvin Marc Magpulong of Bugo – Barangay Gwapo of 2012
The Search for Barangay Gwapo 2012 was put to an end as Barangay Gwapo of Bugo; Alvin Mark Magpulong grabbed the top spot on the Finale Night held at Capitol University Gymnasium.
The crowd soared as the candidates electrified the whole site with an energetic performance from
- Barangay Gwapo # 1 France Luperte (Consolacion)
- Barangay Gwapo # 2 Don Kim Julio Quimbo (Nazareth)
- Barangay Gwapo # 3 Alvin Marc Magpulong (Bugo)
- Barangay Gwapo # 4 Kim Michael Paasa Jr. (Barangay 13)
- Barangay Gwapo # 5 Karl Rembrant Mueco (Barangay 29)
- Barangay Gwapo # 6 Mike Abejo (Macabalan)
- Barangay Gwapo # 7 Noel Vincent Orejudos (Bulua)
- Barangay Gwapo # 8 Alexander Dan Linaac (Gusa)
- Barangay Gwapo # 9 Jestoni Lopez (Macasandig)
- Barangay Gwapo # 10 Richard Caspillo (Puntod)
The event was even powered up by the fresh DJ’s of MOR, Sweet Maricar, Totoy Buguy and Bernie Bitok-Bitok and Mag TV Nah’s finest Maxene Monasterio. The participants danced to the mix and beat of MOR’s music engineers and DJ’s led by Boy Negro.
Meanwhile, the following awards were given to the deserving Barangay Gwapo contestants mainly:
- Mr Congeniality awarded to contestant # 10, Richard Caspillo of Brngy. Puntod
- Best in Club Wear, Contestant # 8 Alexander Dan Linaac of Gusa
- Gwapong Photogenic awarded to Contestant # 1, France Luperte of Consolacion
- Best in Physique given to Contestant # 2, Don Kim Julio Quimbo of Nazareth
- Best in Street Wear as well as Best in Formal Wear awarded to Karl Rembrant Meuco, Contestant # 5 from Brgy 29
The contestants were also given a chance to talk about the Barangay Gwapo experience and what have they done to make it far from the tight competition. In addition, Contestant # 10 of Puntod made us burst out in laughter with some of their bloopers. In the end, only few made it to the final five, which includes contestant # 5, # 8, # 2, # 3, and # 1. All of them were given the same final question with headphones to prevent them from hearing the others’ answer.
The audiences were amazed how well the contestants answered the final test especially with contestant # 29 who answered the question in English boldly. After all the answers were revealed, the Barangay Gwapo of 2011, Ahmad Shali and his fellow winners performed a spicy dance number and waved goodbye to the Barangay Gwapo Crown. It was a glorious moment as Ahmad Shali performed a passage ritual to pass the glory and honor to the next hopeful Barangay Gwapo.
The awaited moment came, the juries have already casted their votes and the following hopeful Barangay Gwapos have been revealed!
- # 1 France Luperte (Consolacion) – 4th Runner-up
- # 2 Don Kim Julio Quimbo (Nazareth) – 3rd Runner-up
- # 8 Alexander Dan Linaac (Gusa) – 2nd Runner-up
- # 5 Karl Rembrant Mueco (Barangay 29) – 1st Runner-up
And the Barangay Gwapo of 2012 is no other than, Barangay Gwapo # 3 Alvin Marc Magpulong of Barnagay Bugo. The crowd cheered and the voices of supporters filled the whole gymnasium.
And guess what’s next? You got it, picture time. Everyone was on a craze posing beside his or her favorite Barangay Gwapo contestant. Congratulations to our new Barangay Gwapo and Advance Happy Fiesta Cagayan de Oro!